Friday, December 15

Last night, after posting the random nonsense which is below, I realised the true reason for my scattyness: I was grieving.

Before you wish me your deepest sympathies, I better explain. You see, yesterday, I finished a book. A good book and when good books end I always feel like I have lost a good friend or two and don't quite know what to do with myself anymore. So, I wander aimlessly, post random nonsense, graze in the kitchen, and sit around doing nothing. And that was when it dawned on me - I miss Eragon.

I am not usually a fan of the fantasy genre, however, a student at school suggested - with some urgency - that I read "the most fantastic fantasy novel" he'd read and "quickly, before the movie comes out next week." As I like to take an interest in what my students are reading outside the classroom, I thought I'd give it a go.

The first few chapters were a little s l o w, however, I very quickly became absorbed; so much so that I could not put the book down. Thus, when I came to the end of the novel, quite unsatisfied with the partial resolution and the fact that there were no more pages to read, I was dying to find out what would happen next! The void I felt at the ending of Eragon was immense. Aimless hours followed.

I wanted desperately to escape my sense of loss by immersing myself in a new book, but I couldn't choose what to read. Another book would not be Eragon. I considered reading Eragon again, immediately, but sometimes you just have to acknowledge when things come to an end, no matter how good they were while they lasted. I quickly realised I was on the rebound - from a book! - and sought to distract myself with some house tidying. I was desperate!

My mum must have sensed my grief because today, - wonderful woman that she is - she bought me Eldest, the next book in Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Trilogy. So from my grief I have emerged and thus shall soon depart to read part two because clearly the first four hundred and ninety seven pages were not enough.

Could this be the beginning of my love for fantasy?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're taking the kids to see the movie tomorrow. My boys loved the first book, but both said that they didn't enjoy the second as much.

I'm reading Eragon at the moment, hoping to finish before the movie!

Sat Dec 16, 03:30:00 am 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

How cool is it that we were reading the same book at the same time on different sides of the world. Somehow that makes me feel closer to you, Kim.

I'm hoping to see the movie soon too. Let me know what you think of it. Tell me if you think it is too scary for little ones.

Doesn't the book just make you want to ride a dragon or speak to a cat? I am begining to see the beauty of fantasy, it appeals to the Romantic in me.

Sat Dec 16, 12:42:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

I love fantasy literature.

The best Fantasy series ( in my opinion) is 'Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn' by Tad Williams. The first book of that series is 'The Dragonbone Chair.'

God Bless

Matthew

Mon Dec 18, 09:28:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Islandsparrow said...

I think I'll get it for my 18 yr old - he's a Tolkien groupie - I hope he's not too highbrow for this fantasy. :)

Tue Dec 19, 08:56:00 am 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

I haven't read that series, Matthew. I may have to check it out some time.


Islandsparrow,
Has your son read
Out of the Silent Planet (1938) or
Perelandra (1943) by CS Lewis?

I am yet to read these but am getting them for Christmas. It may be more highbrow if that is what your son is after. Eragon is fun though. It's a very easy read. A no brainer.

Tue Dec 19, 12:07:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Saw the film adaptation of Eragon at the cinema last night.

Tue Dec 19, 07:51:00 pm 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

...and? Was it good? I'm still waiting to see it. I nearly went to see it today but alas, I didn't. Tell me what you thought of it.

Tue Dec 19, 08:12:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Radagast said...

I'm a huge fantasy nut. Nothing can beat Tolien, of course.

I'd be interested in your opinion of Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra.

Wed Dec 20, 04:17:00 pm 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

I'll let you know as soon as I read them, Radagast. Have you read them? I have quite a few books to read for school first but I plan on taking Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra away with me on holidays. Oh! there is always so much good stuff to read!

Wed Dec 20, 05:15:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home