Sunday, June 18



On Emulating the Most Brilliant Writers.

. . Last week, I sat a literacy exam. I am sure I did very poorly and am pretty concerned that this one bad test result will send my WAM plummeting. However, in my own defense – I warn you, it is not a very good defense but it is interesting – I was distracted from study by the course content. You see, in a series of lectures we were instructed on how to teach writing and were introduced to the empirical evidence for such methods. While revising, one aspect of a particular lecture caught and consumed my attention. It was this: apparently, if you would like to know how to write successfully it may be best to, or not to, ask accomplished writers. Here is why…

. . Robert Frost chose never to use a table, and to sometimes write on the sole of his shoe, which was ok because he prefered to take the road less travelled, so I am sure his soles were clean. Rudyard Kipling wrote with only the blackest ink. Norman Mailer, somewhat picturesquely, likes to write in a long room with a view while Émile Zola preferred to avoid daylight and insisted upon closing the blinds at midday. Samuel Johnson liked to drink a lot of tea and have a purring cat and a strong odour of orange peel nearby. Apparently, Johnson is not the only writer to be inspired by the fragrance of fruit, for Johann Christoph Schiller liked to keep rotten apples in his desk while his feet were soaking in ice-cold water! Percy Bysshe Shelley and Jean-Jacques Rousseau wrote as they sat bareheaded in the sunshine while John Milton and René Descartes would lie stretched out. Finally, James Joyce asserted it was easy for him to write anywhere, as long as he was not too drunk every night.


. . I think the example of some of these writers is worth following. I can understand Kipling writing only with the blackest ink. Black ink is very nice. My Nan and I once had an argument about this: she asserted blue was the only acceptable ink for writing as black was too dark, I liked the darkness of black ink unless I was being artistic, then brown was preferable, or white on black paper, but red for whiteboards. Sunshine on one’s head would also be very nice, only I’d have to shave my head if I were to truly heed this advice. The odour of orange peel is very invigorating - I do like the smell of it infused with coffee - so I may follow the writing habits of Johnson. I, like him, also consume a lot of tea when writing, actually I don’t have to be writing to drink a lot of tea! Purring cats are also very nice, but too tempting to touch so they may prove a distraction for me. Lying stretched out works for a while but I couldn’t write an epic that way, or a treatise unless I began "I lie flat therefore I write…" As for drinking, if I were happy for my writing to be as inaccessible as Joyce’s I’m sure drinking would help. Rotten apples and ice-cold water are definitely out! And darkness is kinda scary. I could definitely write in a long room with a view, and the lack of a table does not bother me but the shoe thing…?

You can see how I was distracted…

. . I started wondering if a writer’s style is influenced by his/her writing methods. I started wondering about my own writing practices. I wondered if I should develop some quirks to improve my writing. I wondered how on earth I was going to teach writing to students: should I get them to try writing with the scent of orange peel? Should I take purring cats to school for inspiration? Should I suggest an excursion to a long room with a view?

. . I would be very interested to know if anyone out there has any particular writing quirks they believe contribute to good writing? I think I have realized that I always need to be wearing lip-gloss. As you can tell by my writing, I am not at the moment. I apologise.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Oh, I love this post. I can see why you got distracted! My mind is off and running already.

I'm with you--black ink--as dark as can be. Permanent black ink, for reading, that is. But for writing, I use a mechanical pencil with .05 lead (2H or harder.)

Off the top of my head, I would say that to write I must have coffee, a fairly clean house, a table full of books near a window overlooking my garden, a hard wooden chair with a straight back and no pillow, two dogs to force me to get up and let them out to go potty from time to time, and something in the crockpot for supper. And only the natural sounds of normal daily activities. (No TV, radio, music of any kind) Oh, and flowers on the table, but then I always want flowers on the table.

(Love the clock; now I can know what time it is where you are!)

Sun June 18, 10:58:00 pm 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

I knew you'd understand, Kim!

We've had this pencil conversation before, haven't we. You were for the 2h, and I was for the 2b...I remember it well.

I like your table full of books near a window overlooking your garden! Very nice. I could write there. I can only write with classical music in the background and it has to be turned down very low. However, I can't listen to music all the time, only when I am trying to softly smother other noise.

I love your flower idea too!

Since posting, I have also realised I need to have clean dry hair to write or study, or function - unless I'm at the beach or the pool.

(I am glad you like my clock. I clicked on yours to see where you got it from and then chose one for myself. It is nice to know what the time is at the place where the other blogger dwells. It adds a kind of tangibility to the whole 'no-space' we dwell in on-line...I can't think about it, it hurts my head.)

Mon June 19, 10:45:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Ha! I'd forgotten that we have discussed pencil lead before!

Tue June 20, 01:14:00 am 2006  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Hello, again, MissM,

If you check out my old blog, you can "view my view".

Tue June 20, 06:38:00 am 2006  
Blogger Donnetta said...

I found this post and information very interesting. And I wasn't too thrown off or distracted until the rotten apples and feet in ice water thing. That did it for me. EEWWW and BBRRRR all at the same time.

Can't think of any quirks right off... so maybe that means I can't write?? HHMmmm

Wed June 21, 01:10:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home