Friday, July 7

It is nearly the anniversary of my Nan’s death. I miss her. Today, I’m wearing a massive cardigan she knitted. It’s very chunky and very warm. It reminds me of her. She was a great knitter. She was also a very prolific knitter. We have kept so many of her jumpers. Some are quite hideous: remember the bright fluorescent wools of the 70s? You know, the ones that look like they’re made from the fur of Elmo and are then combined with the feathers of Big Bird. We have a lot of Sesame Streetesque jumpers. These ones have been made into cushions, so we can appreciate them without having to wear them.
Some of Nan’s jumpers are gorgeous cable knits. All of them are itchy. My Nan left us a legacy of itchy jumpers! Enough to keep us warm forever.

One of my favourite Nan knits is my beanie.




It keeps me warm against the wind that tears through at uni. I seem to get some funny looks when I wear this cosy little hat but I wear it nevertheless. I wear it with an air of defiance thinking, but never verbalising, something along the lines of:

“I defy you all, beanie scorners! My Nan knitted this so laugh if you will, I’ll love it forever!”

On arriving at uni one day adorned by my beloved beanie, I was greeted by a friend in the following manner:

“Hi, ________! You look like a mushroom today!”

To which I replied in good humour, “Why thank you, _________. What a lovely way to be greeted of a morning, as a mushroom.”

He explained that mushrooms were friendly and thus it was a compliment to be greeted as a mushroom.

“Better than a toadstool,” he clarified, “Toadstools are so mean.”

I had to agree. Toadstools are mean.

My Nan loved it when little toadstools sprouted in her garden. She’d let them grow under the trees and we’d pretend they were a little village. But they were always scary: poisonous and the like. She liked mushrooms much better. Mushrooms are soooo tasty. My Nan was also a fantastic cook! She cooked everything well. Mum cooked mushrooms with dinner tonight. We both miss her.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

I have a hat that was my grandmas. It is a soft blue tam--the yarn is very whispy (don't know anything about yarns, but I think it might be moehair)

As she got older, she began to dress funny. House dresses, short white sox and tennies, her blue tam, (indoors and out!) a big shiny purse hooked on her arm, and a cup of coffee hanging off the end of her crooked finger, which she spilled wherever she went. She was such a sweetie.

I don't wear her tam, but maybe as I get older I'll want to.

Fri July 07, 10:43:00 pm 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice beanie :)

Sat July 08, 08:28:00 am 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

I hope one day you wear your grandma's hat, Kim.

Sun July 09, 05:15:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home