Wednesday, November 1

Kim's Reformation Day Post got me thinking: what exactly does this mean and how do we know it from Scripture?

IV. The almighty power, unsearchable wisdom, and infinite goodness of God so far manifest themselves in his providence, that it extendeth itself even to the first fall, and all other sins of angels and men; and that not by a bare permission, but such as hath joined with it a most wise and powerful bounding, and otherwise ordering, and governing of them, in a manifold dispensation, to his own holy ends; yet so, as the sinfulness thereof proceedeth only from the creature, and not from God, who, being most holy and righteous, neither is nor can be the author or approver of sin.

From: The Westminster Confession of Faith, Chapter V: Of Providence

This excerpt is saying God not only permits our sin but is so in control of it that he guides it wisely and powerfully for his own holy ends yet is without blame. The Bible tells us that God does not tempt man, man is only tempted when his own wicked desires entice him.

So, I ask you, what exactly does this mean and how do we know it from Scripture?

All thoughts are welcome.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Morning, MissM!

I read your comment and asked you over on my blog if you would like me to "unpack" that section with scripture proofs as a series on my blog.

I would be happy to do that and I will read what others have to say here with interest.

Wed Nov 01, 11:41:00 pm 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

Thanks, Kim. Sorry. I should have checked over there first. Going there now...

Thu Nov 02, 07:54:00 am 2006  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Good question.

I do not believe this at all.

Those who take that view can give you long lists of proof texts, but most are taken out of context.

Here is a common example:

Amos 3
6 Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?

Those who take the Westminister view would say this proves that God ordains evil. However, the context of this text is God's judgment on Israel. Evil events happening to Israel were a sign of God's judgment.

This text is not saying that God causes every evil thing thta happens.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Thu Nov 02, 07:55:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Hi MissM!

I haven't forgotten about this; just super busy. I will finish it as soon as I can but it probably won't be before Monday.

Life is busy but life is good!

: )

Sun Nov 05, 10:14:00 am 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

Matthew, You view is interesting and I must admit that I often think there is a difference between how God treats Israel in the past and us today. Yet I am not certain. How can we know for sure? Can weknow for sure or are we not meant to. Is it one of those unsearcahble thinh=gs we cannot know without knowing the mind of God?

I know the Bible gives evidence for both sides.

I am looking forward to your response, Kim, because I want to see all sides. I am happy to wait for it. I am glad you are busy but good.

Sun Nov 05, 01:38:00 pm 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

In case you hadn't noticed: I am the Queen of typos today! (in case you don't believe me "Queen" read "Quesen" before I corrected it!)

Sun Nov 05, 01:40:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Whether God treats Israel the same today as He did in the past is an interesting question, but I am not sure that it is relevant to my point.

My point is that this text is not talking about God's sovereign administration of the world in general, but His specific dealings with Israel.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Mon Nov 06, 08:05:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home