Friday, December 15

"After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, "Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him." Matthew 2:1-2

Last Christmas, my sister-in-law wrapped one of my presents in this beautiful red and gold foil paper pictured below. I loved the paper just about as much as the present and thus have kept it. The three men look just like what I imagine the Three Wise Men of the Orient would have looked like. What I love about this paper is that it was not even really Christmas paper. It was some kind of delicate asian paper my sister-in-law found in China Town for some ridiculously cheap price. A bundle of it cost 20 cents or something crazy. Anyway, the paper captured my attention and imagination and leads me to share with you one of my favourite Christmas Carols, We Three Kings.

Please feel free to sing along with the midi version here.

We three kings of Orient are;
Bearing gifts we traverse afar,
Field and fountain,
moor and mountain,
Following yonder star.
Refrain

O star of wonder,
star of light,
Star with royal beauty bright,
Westward leading,
still proceeding,
Guide us to thy perfect light.

Born a King on Bethlehem’s plain
Gold I bring to crown Him again,
King forever, ceasing never,
Over us all to reign.

Refrain

Frankincense to offer have I;
Incense owns a Deity nigh;
Prayer and praising,
voices raising,
Worshipping God on high.

Refrain

Myrrh is mine,
its bitter perfume
Breathes a life of gathering gloom;
Sorrowing, sighing, bleeding, dying,
Sealed in the stone cold tomb.

Refrain

Glorious now behold Him arise;
King and God and sacrifice;
Alleluia, Alleluia,
Sounds through the earth and skies.

Refrain

2 Comments:

Blogger Beck said...

We celebrate Three Kings on January sixth - it makes a lovely end to the Christmas season, and it's hilarious to see my kids parading around solemnly in homemade crowns.

Sat Dec 16, 02:22:00 am 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

How gorgeous!

I would love a summary of all your Advent celebrations, Beck. You do great things with your children.

Sat Dec 16, 12:38:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home