Wednesday, June 21

Ages ago, back in the pre-deletion-of-my-blog days, I promised Kim I would post her a picture of my Mango tree:



Here it is, hidden away in the jungle that is our garden.

It's only a baby tree, I know, but it's been through a lot. For the first three years I had to build a tent for it to live in so that it could survive the frosts of winter. Sydney is apparently too cold for these tropical dwellers. It has survived thunderstorms in which bigger trees have come crashing down upon it, splitting it in two. It has also survived being uprooted and replanted as life has required us to relocate. In a way, the tree symbolises my life.

Despite all the frosts, tempests, blows, and uprootings this tree has borne us fruit: sweet, delicious fruit. I can only hope that in this way, too, the tree and I will grow alike.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Oh, it's beautiful! I've never seen one!

And all the beautiful, lush vegetation around and underneath it! Gorgeous! I noticed your hanging fern. In the States we call that a Boston Fern. Is it called the same in Australia?

Thanks for sharing a piece of your home "Down Under."

(Is it OK to call it that, because we do, you know!) : )

Wed June 21, 09:58:00 pm 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

I love the leaves of the mango tree. When the new ones grow they are a pink colour and the whole tree looks like it is sprouting Jar Jar Binkses.

Yes, it is a Boston fern here, too.

Down Under is completely acceptable and I know that you would say it with much affection, so that's fine. It is where we are, after all.

Sat June 24, 09:27:00 am 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home