Tuesday, July 18

Let the little children listen

Amanda at Wittingshire has a great post on Sayers on Children, in which she observes a point with which I identify strongly. Amanda states that in her house, “we [adults] talk over our children’s heads all the time, and eventually they begin chiming in. We read poems and passages of prose that are over their heads, and they like the sound even if they don’t catch the meaning – and already I’m seeing the rhythms of good prose coming out in their own young attempts at essays.” While my children are yet too young to write essays I do observe the enjoyment children obtain from good literature.

As a mother of two who is also involved in full time study I realise that I am often exposing my children to literature that is beyond their means of comprehension. My children will regularly ask, "What are you reading, mama? What does it say?" and will then listen keenly as I read a portion of a text from my university text list. The language is inevitably over their heads and the plot is often complex. Yet, as Amanda has observed, the children enjoy the prose or poetry and take from it what they can. Whether it be an appreciation of the melody created by the words, a sense of rhythm, an image which livens the imagination, or the basics of the plot, children appreciate good literature.

My youngest was exposed to Paradise Lost, when he was four. He would sit listening wide-eyed as I recited heavenly battles to him and while it was impossible for him to understand the language, he absorbed the drama and asked a multitude of questions. He then discussed the Cyclops of the Odyssey -- we skipped the very gruesome parts -- and Ulysses with me when he was five and kindly lent me his Cyclops character toy for a university tutorial. He is now keenly interested in The Hobbit and enjoys the elements of high fantasy which spark his imagination and enliven his play.

My eldest son is fascinated with transport. As is our custom in the school holidays the boys choose a book, a classic, for us to read together. This little man, spying maps and boats within the pages, was drawn to Gulliver’s Travels by the promise of experiencing Gulliver’s many adventures by sea. He insisted upon me reading the Oxford version to him while he looked at the pictures in the children’s version, saying he wanted to “hear the whole story in the real words.” While I read Swift’s novel and laugh at the satirical portrait’s of society, Master 7 appreciates the funny people, the transport, and the adventures.

My boys also enjoy theatre and opera. In fact, it is my youngest who adamantly insists that I play “the song that the statue sings to the naughty man,” from Mozart’s Don Giovanni, over and over again. It is a powerful aria, full of passion and drama. My little man does not speak or understand Italian. He does not understand the words sung. But he enjoys the dramatic tension, the passion, and the music and he is sure to reprimand me if I play a different aria – he can tell the difference.

What I truly see evidenced in my children’s enjoyment of these texts is encapsulated in a quote from Dorothy Sayers which Amanda cites at the end of her post. “Children”, Sayers states, are “the only audience perhaps in the country whose minds are still open and sensitive to the spell of poetic speech…the thing they react to and remember is not logical argument, but mystery and the queer drama of melodious words.”

This so true!

I would love to hear about the books, plays, or poems your children enjoy or even those you do. Which books, poems or plays sing to you or your children with the “mystery and…queer drama of melodious words?” I’d love to know.

But for now, if you will now excuse me, I must go and read to my children.

8 Comments:

Blogger missmellifluous said...

Ah! But missmellifluous have you considered the fact that in this post you sound so much like an incredibly pushy mother who expects her children to overachieve and then boasts about it. I am surprised that yu have not deleted this post in shame!

Do you mean to say that your children are really interested in reading books that are over their heads? What can they possibly get out of that? And aren't you afraid that pressuring them to enjoy "good literature" will smother the gently flickering desire they currently have to read?

Why not let them go outside and play or read books more suited to their level?

It would be a sha,e to be overbearing and find that your children have no interest in good literature when it really matters.

Wed July 19, 09:20:00 pm 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

Indeed, you voice some of my very own thoughts, missmellifluous. How kind of you to bring them to the fore of my attention.

Let me add that my children are interested in reading these books and listening to opera's such the one mentioned above. I would not dream of forcing or coercing them to read that which is beyond them or to read only that which is beyond their means of comprehension. Much of their interaction with these texts is rather incidental, part of them wanting to take part in whatever I am doing, just like the children in the Witt hosehold end up "chiming in" as their parents discuss poetry or prose that is over their heads.

Of the classic we do read the children choose the texts, sampling a page or two in order to see if they are interested and can understand the language. They choose and if they decide they are not yet ready for a text they have the chance to put it down and come back to it later, if they like.

Each child is different. Each child has different interests which is why together we choose a special book to read which appeals to their specific passion.

Of course, they read books at their own level. This is necessary to their development of the basics of reading. I do find that exposing my children to classics fans rather than smothers the desire to read. There is the need at times to paraphrase and explain the meanings of words and phrases and we read in small doses. One would certainly not want to bury a child under the weight of meaningless words and more meaningless words. No! the experience must be meaningful and interesting. Reading of the classics or any text also allows for the much cherished snuggle-before-bed-time.

Wed July 19, 09:33:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

I would say that you are a very wise mother to expose your children to literature that is above their reading level and yet either not above or only slightly above their receptive level.

Reading and listening are two very different skills and listening to excellent literature, read aloud, trains the mind to observe and assimilate the structure of literature.

In my opinion, one should never limit a child's exposure to books based on his developing ability to read the written word. Mechanical reading and reading (albeit listening) comprehension are two very different animals and it's not a good idea to get them confused.

Wed July 19, 11:17:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

I would like to amend my comments. I said not above or only slightly above. I was not clear. I believe a child should be given books that are both at and above their reading level.

Read alouds, however, can be far above their reading level, in my humble opinion. Especially when entered into with a loved one who is cuddling them, stopping to observe for signs of interest (or boredom)and who is willing to show enthusiasm and expand the reading with explanations, when necessary. I believe the most important things you must communicate while reading to your child are 1.) that you delight in whatever you are reading to them and 2.) that you love them and want them to share in your delight.

Wed July 19, 11:22:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Oh, books I have read to my children that we enjoyed.

Rather than give a bunch of titles, I'll list authors that we explored at a very early age, before they could read them on their own.

Tolkien (of course!)
C.S. Lewis (and not only Narnia--the Screwtape Letters was much loved by two of my boys)
Dickens
Shelby Foote
Bruce Catton
David McCullough
John Bunyon
Rudyard Kipling
Grimm's Fairy Tales

to name a few. . .

: D

Wed July 19, 11:34:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

OK, I'll just share one title and then I'll let someone else get a word in edgewise. . .

The Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell.

Even though the subject was a young girl, I believe each of our boys loved this book because it helped them to see themselves as capable of great adventures.

Wed July 19, 11:39:00 pm 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

Ha! four comments in a row! That is great! I love it!

All you've said is great, too, Kim. I especially like: I believe the most important things you must communicate while reading to your child are 1.) that you delight in whatever you are reading to them and 2.) that you love them and want them to share in your delight. Very well said.

And, Wow! you read The Screwtape Letters to your boys! I had never even considered it but now that you mention it I may pull it down of the shelf and give it another look. My boys may like it, too. How old were yours when you read it to them?

I'll have to look up The Island of the Blue Dolphins as I've never heard of it till now.

Sun July 23, 06:42:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

I'm not really sure how old they were; John was likely younger than Sam. I'd guess John was probably 8 and Sam 10. I read aloud to him (Sam) every day until he was in the 8th grade.

Jake was not interested. He liked different things. He loved Leaf by Niggle. (Have you read it yet?--you really must!)

Sun July 23, 10:33:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home