Wednesday, November 8

Have you ever had a really narrow escape?


This couple certainly did.

Imagine the sheer panic they would have felt as the train approached. The dread, the anticipation.... will it hit...will it...? Imagine the million questions that may have raced around their heads in the seconds before they made it to the safety of the platform. Imagine how they must have held their breath and wondered if they would ever breathe again. Then imagine the relief as the train passed.

I felt like this today. No, I was not running across the train lines. Nothing that spectacular happened yet I felt the same panic, the same anticipation, dread, fear and subsequent relief. The occasion was mundane, yet I believe, life changing.

I found out today that I did not receive a job I applied for. I had been feeling so nervous going for this job. So anxious, so unsettled. I wondered what I would do if I was offered the job. I agonised over it. I prayed and found found no peace, until I found out that I didn't get the job.

When I found out I was surprised by my response. I was relieved! Relieved. This is a good school I applied for. This school has a great reputation. Yet I was relieved not to get a job there. Am I crazy?

I don't think so. In hindsight, having already taught at the school, I know I would have had numerous difficulties working there. The job would have caused me to neglect other more important responsibilities, would have added stress to my life because of expectations, time demands, and certain politics I am opposed to.

It is really strange to be feeling so relieved at not being offered what most in my profession would consider the ultimate job. I am so glad that God is in control and has a place for me where I can best serve Him. I know it was not this school and I feel so much peace about not getting the position.

Today I am thankful for not getting a job and for good friends - like you - who prayed for me during this process! Thank you all! I feel as though I have just survived a narrow escape with an oncoming train.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

I know the feeling. Sometimes one does apply for jobs one does not really want.

God Bless

Matthew

Wed Nov 08, 10:02:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

How good it is to trust the Lord with one's life and livelihood. Our family has been in a similar situation and felt the same sense of relief and, looking back, we could see how the "loss" of that plum position paved the way for a position that was not so plum but absolutely perfect for our family.

He holds you in His Hand, MissM. He has plans for you! I'm so pleased that you are trusting in Him and believing He has done and will do according to your best interest and that of your family!

Thu Nov 09, 12:04:00 am 2006  
Blogger candy said...

Good message for me too. My seasonal job ends in Dec. It has been a fun job, and one I wish I could do all the time, so I wonder what God has for you and the testimony you will share about God's provision.

Thu Nov 09, 02:10:00 am 2006  
Blogger Donnetta said...

I'm so grateful that as God's plan was revealed... you found peace, rest, and even relief in that!

Thanks for sharing this and know that God has something better suited in mind for YOU!
Jeremiah 29:11-13

Thu Nov 09, 03:34:00 am 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home