Sunday, November 5

Today is very rainy and overcast and kind of miserable, which makes me happy because I have the sniffles and I like it when the weather suits my mood.

Being sniffly means thatI have been able to stay in bed nice and snuggly all weekend reading. I woke up at 7am on Saturday morning ready to do all the things I should be doing, even though I am sniffly and miserable, and my very lovely mum sent me back to bed saying, "No, missy. You stay home. We'll do that for you." Those words were the best words I could have heard and even though I was up and cold, I felt snuggly already because someone cared enough to do all my running around things for me.

So, when my mum came home later on she had bought me a present - because we are very good present givers in my family, and every occassion is occassion for a present - and when I opened it, it was this book:

Mum bought it for me to stop me worrying about what I should be doing next year: Should I get a permanent job? Should I do an honours year? Should I get part time work and do an honours year? Should I write all my achievements on my cv? How much modesty is appropriate? Should I apply for this school or that school or all the schools and choose later? And why haven't the schools I applied for rung me yet?

Clarice Bean keeps a book of her "Worst Worries - because people say things aren't so bad if you make a list.
And then you can tick things off when they are solved.
So far I havent ticked anything off," says Clarice Bean(p7).

Clarice Bean wants to be a spy lie Ruby Redfort and so she studies lots of Ruby's spy books so that she can Know How to Know Things Without Knowing Things. Ruby Redfort says

"Always remember:
it's the worry you haven't even thought to worry about that should worry you the most."

Thus, Clarice Bean studies Ruby's survival books which are "crammed with useful information, like How to Deal with Alien Life Forms: give them the slip and run like crazy." One of Clarice Bean's biggest fears is "Worry no. 3: change, And how sometimes it comes along when you least expect it. Unfortunately it's not always possible to give change the slip and run like crazy..."

Unlike Clarice, I am not so worried about change. I am worried about no change. There needs to be some change. Then I remember, that if God looks after the birds of the air, surely he will look after me and I am comforted because I really can know things without knowing anything.

I am thankful for sniffles and rainy days and God being in control and me not having to worry. Oh! and mums and surprise presents and words that make you feel snuggly when you are cold.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to say "Get well soon", but you seem to handle being sick very well.

God bless you, anyway.

Sun Nov 05, 02:14:00 pm 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get well soon!

Sun Nov 05, 02:49:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Sorry you're not feeling up to snuff. I hope you wake up tomorrow feeling much better.

What a wonderful motherly present your mother picked for you. I think I have mentioned before that your mother must be very wise! : D

Sun Nov 05, 03:00:00 pm 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

Thank you all! I will be better soon. Coldish flu things don't last forever. And I have to be better tomorrow so that I can go and teach Year 9 and 11 and 10 English stuff.

My mum is lovely and wise and kind and lots of other good things too.

Sun Nov 05, 03:39:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Islandsparrow said...

So glad that your mom is taking such good care of you. Follow her advice and rest up!!

And I hope you're feeling better soon.

{{{hugs}}}

the other k

PS - no modesty on your CV - in your interview perhaps especially if they are holding your CV in their hand - blush a little and say airily "Oh that? It was nothing!"

Mon Nov 06, 07:22:00 am 2006  
Blogger Beck said...

I love Lauren Childs' books! And you know, I had no idea that you were a young 'un.
Get better soon and good luck figuring things out!

Mon Nov 06, 09:40:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mismel, sorry you're sick - but in such a present-giving family, even that might be a blessing, now that you have such an empowering book! (i loved this post!)

Tue Nov 07, 03:13:00 pm 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

Hi Island Sparrow!

Thanks for the advice and the hugs! I will practice blushing on cue. It shouldn't be too hard - I am quite a good blusher at times.
K

Oh Beck! Don't let my penchantfor juvenile fiction decieve you. I am no spring chicken. But I don't let that stop me enjoying things. Lauren Child is way too good to pass up, no matter what your age is.

Hello Violet,
I am so glad you liked this post. I must admit that I felt quite indulged in my sick state which was very nice, especially considering there were presents! Books are always welcome and permission to lie around and read them is wonderful!

Thank you all for wishing me well.

Tue Nov 07, 09:03:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home