Thursday, November 23


What Does the Bible Say about Dinosaurs?

I found this question, this passage, and these articles very interesting today. These articles refer to the description of the Behemoth in Job 40 as being a possible reference to dinosaurs in the Bible.

Here is how William Blake imagined the Behemoth and the Leviathan to be.


I had always thought of the Behemoth as a kind of bull-like creature, however, today when reading Job 40 I thought it sounded way more dinosaur-like with its tail swaying like a cedar. How intriguing the Behemoth and the Leviathan are! Blake depicts the Leviathan as a dragon-like creature and from the description in Job 41 it certainly sounds like one. Yet, I had always imagined the Leviathan to be a kind of mythical Loch Ness Monster-like creature due to its sea dwelling snake-like nature described in Psalm 104 and Isaiah 27.

What do you think they could be?

11 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Yes, I would go with the view that the Behemoth and Leviathan are probably Dinosaurs.

Thu Nov 23, 07:33:00 pm 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever it is, the Behemoth is not a hippopotomus! I'm happy with it being a dinosaur.

But Leviathan is different:

Firebrands stream from his mouth; sparks of fire shoot out.
Smoke pours from his nostrils as from a boiling pot over a fire of reeds.
(Job 41:19-20)

That's not a dinosaur - that's a dragon!

Thu Nov 23, 11:24:00 pm 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

That is so exciting! Wahoo! Dinosaurs and dragons in the Bible. How scary and interesting.

Fri Nov 24, 07:24:00 am 2006  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

John, what makes you think that some Dinosaurs did not somehow breathe fire?

The notion of fire-breathing dragons came from somewhere.

God Bless

Matthew

Fri Nov 24, 08:19:00 pm 2006  
Blogger candy said...

Hey...a William Blake illustration! Haven't seen one of those for awhile.

Sat Nov 25, 02:17:00 am 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

I love Blakes illustrations. I have more here.

Sat Nov 25, 07:28:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that there is a lot about the world that we take for granted - and a lot more that we don't know about!

;-)

Sun Nov 26, 02:59:00 am 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

I agree, Ellen.

Mon Nov 27, 04:58:00 pm 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

I can't believe I wrote Blakes without using an apostrophe! What is wrong with me?

Blake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake'sBlake's just to prove I can

Mon Nov 27, 05:00:00 pm 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad, a lot of people mis-use apostrophe's.

Fri Dec 08, 12:17:00 pm 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

Yes, but obviously not you or I. Grrrrr!

Fri Dec 15, 06:58:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home