Saturday, February 17

Cricket 101: What is cricket?
For Beck and Kim who asked and for all my Canadian and American friends who didn't - you know who you are.



"You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!"



If that was unhelpful, perhaps this video, which is certainly not as fun, will make it clearer:





From aussiefox @ YouTube.



So there you go, that's cricket.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

The man I worked fore before I became a Mother was was from Britain, and a very avid Cricket player. He tried to explain the rules to me, but I never got them.

Sat Feb 17, 11:40:00 pm 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So THAT's cricket.

It reminds me of baseball, field hockey, la cross, shuffle board and Quiddich.

It looks like fun, both to play and to watch.

Thanks for posting this! The Tam Tam looks delicious, too.

Sun Feb 18, 12:09:00 am 2007  
Blogger Beck said...

So cricket is sort of like baseball? It DOES look like fun. And so THAT'S what Lord Peter Whimsey was so good at - ah ha!

Sun Feb 18, 01:36:00 am 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly! I've been reading Gaudy Night lately, but I really want to read Murder Must Advertise soon - I believe that's the one where Wimsey's cricketing prowess is significant.

Sun Feb 18, 09:39:00 pm 2007  
Blogger Islandsparrow said...

I think as Canadians (you know, part of the British Commonwealth and all) we should know what Cricket is - but I have never seen it played here. But I have heard that voice on the video before - I think there used to a Sat afternoon show about cricket on CBC. It looks like baseball.

We do play rugby - and I will not let my daughter join the team. She begs and I say NO. Sorry - too many injuries in that sport - especially for a piano player.

Tue Feb 20, 04:09:00 am 2007  
Blogger Exile from GROGGS said...

Well, my wife broke her finger playing softball - but touch rugby is no more hazardous than touch football, I'd have thought.

What makes cricket most unamerican is that in its most "perfect" form (a five-day test match - about 30 hours of play), a draw is a common result. Hardly exciting television - goes with the pace of UK summer holidays - though the tension in some of the hard-fought draws in the last Ashes (Eng vs Aus) series in the UK was actually phenomenal!

Wed Feb 21, 10:22:00 pm 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, am an artist from india,a true cricket lover too...can i use this text in my works where am making some drawings along with?
thanks.
ms

Thu Feb 03, 05:05:00 pm 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home