Friday, January 12



After an extremely hot day, a thunderstorm has rolled in over my house.

We have waited in the suffocating heat all day for this storm and now it is here. I lie in a hammock on my deck reading A Portrait of a Lady, listening to the different rhythms of the night: a chorus of courting frogs croak by the pond, the rain falls in soothing pitter-patters on the roof and I wait for it to build to a pouring crescendo while the thunder rolls and booms like loose skin on a big bass drum closer and closer, until it is directly overhead.

I read my book by the light of my flickering candle. The white light is dulled to insignificance in comparison to the brilliant blue flashes the lightning casts across the sky. I see the sky as an ocean, vast and wild, yet comforting in its unfathomable immensity. I am sure I see frothing white water lick at the sides of the lightning, like a line being thrown out and disrupting the smooth surface of the water.

I smell the freshness of the rain as all is being washed clean. I breathe deeply and drink it in.
I love it. The sounds, the sights, the smells, for this is summer in Australia, the land of incredible heat and summer rains.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We live in different parts of the world - everything here is grey and covered in a thin crunchy blanket of snow.

Fri Jan 12, 11:50:00 pm 2007  
Blogger Donnetta said...

Wow. That was quite a storm! We woke up to temps of zero today. Quite a difference!! :-)

Thanks for commenting at "My Quiet Corner" and letting me know you're still around! It is always such a pleasure hearing from you!! :-)!!

Sat Jan 13, 04:15:00 am 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your description of your Australian thunderstorm reminds me of "The Thorn Birds." I read that years ago and I've never forgotten the descriptions of the intense weather on your continent.

Your words are so beautifully chosen and so rich in imparting imagination and vision. Although I enjoyed it,I did not need the video. Your words were enough.

Sat Jan 13, 04:36:00 am 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

momrn2

Hi! I've missed you! For some reason, every time I try to access your blog my whole computer freezes up and I have to reboot. Maybe it is the music.

I'm sorry I haven't been over there to read. I couldn't even leave you a note to let you know why. I hope you find this!

Sat Jan 13, 04:38:00 am 2007  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

I love the idea of snow! I think actually living with it is probably more difficult than my romantic notions allow me to think. But I do love snow and wish it fell here in winter.

Hi momrn2, It is always great to hear from you too!

HI Kim, I have never read The Thorn Birds. I suppose I should. Thank you for your very kind words about my words. I felt that the video did not really match the words very well - it was filmed in England, I think, and the landscape looks so different to that here - however, I do love the sounds captured. I try not to look at the video but just listen to it.

Sat Jan 13, 08:16:00 am 2007  
Blogger candy said...

I was going to tell you how beautiful your home is on the outside! But then you mentioned that somebody else filmed it. Well, your words are very descriptive and since it is 4 degrees here, wish I was there.

Sun Jan 14, 07:06:00 am 2007  
Blogger Donnetta said...

Miss M: Thanks for the heads up that Kim was trying to reach me! I'll be sure to get in touch with her!! Thanks again so very much!! :-)

Sun Jan 14, 10:03:00 am 2007  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

You'd be welcome here, Candy. I'm sure we'd get up to all kinds of adventures together! It would be fun.

momrn2, I'm glad you got to catch up with Kim. I wouldn't want anyone t miss out on that!

Sun Jan 14, 08:41:00 pm 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home