Saturday, September 16

The Cherax destructor: a wonderful pet.

This is a Yabbie:



Kim asked me what a blue claw yabbie was and I must admit that I was a little casual with the title. I should have called our yabbie the Cherax destructor; for this is it's real name.

The yabbie is a crayfish. The Cherax destructor is native to Australia and can grow to 20cms. They are quite amazing creatures. They look and act like little knights in armour; they are a fantastic blue colour; they shed their shell and then eat it; they catch live fish and eat them; they swim and crawl backwards if startled; they can escape from seemingly secure tanks; they dig and build little houses and hollows; they are really quite intriuging to watch.

This is what I found under my bed at 2 in the morning - a delightful little Cherax destructor. Aren't they gorgeous!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

Gorgeous, yes, in that "all God's creatures are beautiful" way. How in the world did he get out?

Sun Sept 17, 12:23:00 am 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

He climbed out. Yabbies are great climbers and this one is no exception. He climbed up the tank and squeezed out the little gap where the filter tubes go into the tank. Then I don't know if he fell off the shelf or climbed down but he got off the shelf and travelled down the hall to the other end of the house.

Sun Sept 17, 08:02:00 am 2006  
Blogger Donnetta said...

You found it... *stutter*... Under your bed?? YIKES!

Did you recognize what/ who it was right away or did it take you a minute?

I'm afraid I would have screamed much too loudly in that situation!

Sun Sept 17, 08:38:00 am 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

It took me a minute to wake up and believe that it was Killer and I was not dreaming. Then came the problem of how to pick him up without having him pinch me with his little claws.

I didn't scream. He's a nice yabbie. I may have screamed if I had found him in my bed.

Sun Sept 17, 08:43:00 am 2006  
Blogger Violet N. said...

I have goosebumps all up and down my arms, imagining what it would be like to find a yabbie or that other gorgeous blue creature below, under my bed.

Sun Sept 24, 02:44:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

I can't believe you have those as pets!

Thu Sept 28, 07:48:00 am 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

They are lovely pets. Very entertaining. I am intrigued by them for hours on end and I can;'t help but think hoe delicious they might taste if only they grew bigger...

Sat Sept 30, 09:13:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home