Sunday, January 14


Do you remember the song

Don't build your house on the sandy land
Don't build it too near the shore
Well it might look kinda nice but you'll have to build it twice
Oh you'll have to build your house once more.

You better build your house upon the Rock
Make a good foundation on a solid spot
Though the storms may come and go
The peace of God you will know.

I was thinking of this song as I was watching the boys build a sandcastle at the beach the other day. As a big wave came up and washed half of the front wall of our beachside mansion away, my brother said, "Now boys that's what happens if you build your house on the sand. You must remember to NEVER build your house on the sand." Of course I started singing "it might look kinda nice but you'll have to build it twice..." and before I was singing the refrain my sister-in-law - you have to know she is an architect - says, "Well, you can you know you just need a really good foundation."

Of course she is right - as usual - and so I wondered, Do you think Jesus would still use his 'the foolish man built his house on the sand' story if he were addressing a large crowd today? Imagine if there were architects in the crowd. The story just wouldn't work. The truth of the story has not changed. Even with architectural advances you still need a good foundation on which to build your 'house' (ie, life), nevertheless, I wonder if Jesus would still use this example today, and I wonder if I would use it when witnessing to an architect? What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home