Sunday, October 1

I have not posted at length for a while because of a very silly reason. Yes, I have been busy but I have had moments spare in which posting would have been possible if it were not for one small detail: my fingernails.

You see, lately I have taken to having longer fingernails than usual. I like longer fingernails - especially of the French manicured variety - as they make my hand look far more feminine, tidy, clean and sophistocated. However, they are totally impractical. During the recent weeks in which I have been sporting these longer nails, I have discovered so many things I could not physically do because of my nails. Some of these are as follows:



Open cans of soft drink

Button my shirts

Rig boats

Type

Take out my contact lenses

Find things in the bottom of my bag

Screw cameras onto tripods

Play bass

Get a strong grip on anything

Post

SMS with ease and precision


This is not a lot of things but it is enough to make life rather tricky. I now have a dilemma: I like the look of long nails but the maintenance and the upkeep is incredible. The sporting of lovely long French manicured nails seems only possible for ladies of leisure rather than ladies who engage in real work. In fact this is exactly why in some countries long fingernails are a symbol of status and leisure. For example,

"In some Asian cultures men may also grow long fingernails, or only the nail on the little finger, to show that they do not do much manual labor, but instead work in an office setting."

Obviously these men do not type.

My question to you is this, how do you prefer your nails? If longish, how do you overcome the limitations longer nails impose? What is a comfortable length? Do you polish or go natural?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

I love the look of polished, manicured nails, but the upkeep is time consuming.

Mine are long enough to polish but short enough to do everything I want to do. I keep them just barely peeking over the tips of my fingers.

Right now my polish is worn and chipped from a day in the garden and I need to attend to my manicure before church.

My polish preference is opaque-never sheer or sparkle-y-in neutral, earthy tones.

I do like the look of a french manicure, but I can't keep it up.

There you go; everything you always wanted to know about my fingernails!

(As an aside, hands are one of the first things I notice!)

Sun Oct 01, 10:16:00 pm 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I play the piano in church, and that means having short nails.

I seldom polish them. I actually have very beautiful nails when I grow them out, but I just can't be bothered.

Mon Oct 02, 06:37:00 am 2006  
Blogger candy said...

I am so natural. I have polish and it is ohhhhh...about five years old. Same with lipstick. I have about five or six that have been around for a few years. Oh...and earrings...nice pretty ones and in a drawer. My daughter thinks I am pathetic. I just want to wear my hiking clothes and she won't leave her house without spending an hour getting ready. I do like a good haircut. Back to nails. I have short nails cuz I play piano.

Mon Oct 02, 10:58:00 am 2006  
Blogger missmellifluous said...

It sounds like you have found a good length, Kim from H. I think I will have to aim for something similar. The length of my nails before was nice - not too long, but long enough to be slightly impractical. In frustration I cut them off so I could type. I need to find a happy medium.

It is funny that you don't like sheer. I always go for something sheer or natural looking on my fingers but a deep shiny red for my toes. French manicure is my favourite for fingernails...I wounder what it would look like on toes.

How funny that you notice hands first. I notice smiles and eyes....oh, and teeth.

Kim and Candy, Instruments do mean you have to make practical choices in the fingernail department. I hate the clinking of fingernails on piano keys - it sounds awful!

Candy, it is great that you go natural. I wish I could go more natural but I have to admit that I am quite a girly-girl. I love makeup and feel naked without lip gloss or lipstick - it's so pathetic. I don't think I could even go for a bush walk without lip gloss. I just hate dry lips.

Now I'm embarrassed because I am clearly much more vain than I would like to admit. Is it too late to delete this post?

Mon Oct 02, 02:13:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home