Monday, October 2

Today's verse reminds me of a song we used to sing when I lived in community. It reminds me of this song because the song was actually written in response to this verse.

“Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe.” (Proverbs 29:25)

The song went a little exactly like this:

"It's dangerous
to be concerned
with what others think of you
but if you trust
in the Lord
you are safe and that is true."
It was a good reminder to a whole heap of insecure teenagers and this is what we were. But you know, I find it encouraging now too. I worry all too often about what others think of me and forget that it really doesn't matter and can indeed be misleading to try to please people. Yet if I am concerned about how God sees me, I'll be fine.
I often worry about what people think of me and my situation. Will people think I am a bad person or bad christian for divorcing? Will people assume I was adulterous without trying to figure out the truth? Will people think I am looking to find a replacement father for my children? Will women think I am after their man just because I am a single mum? Will people think I am a bad mother for studying? Will people assume all of these things without getting to know me first. Inevitably the answer is yes. Yes they will and have assumed all of these things without trying to establish the truth. And it's sucky. But it's not important. Those who truly care stick around to find out the facts and get to know me. Those who care are direct enough to ask the questions they have about me and do so to understand, not to judge. Those who do care, care regardless of my situation and get to know my heart. It is more important that I know what God thinks of me. And I know he loves me no matter what. In this I am safe.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim from Hiraeth said...

You are wise beyond your years.

Mon Oct 02, 09:40:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home